Friday, November 13

Meal Planning



I realize that a large reason that my monthly grocery spending (including restaurants) has been so high, is the simple fact that I just don't plan ahead.  I usually pick a few meals that I will make that week and the remaining days we go out to eat or scramble to make something at the last minute.  I decided that I would make a monthly (or 4-week) list of meals that we like (and a few new ones to try) so that I know ahead of time what we will be having each and every day of the month.  I figure we won't get too tired of anything if we only eat it once a month.  I added one leftover or pizza day each week (because I just CAN'T cook everyday) and also one freezer meal day (I recently joined a freezer friendz group with 5 other women. We "trade" meals once a month.)  It was pretty easy to come up with about 20 meals.  Here's what I came up with:


Day
Dinner
1
Spaghetti & Meatballs
2
Chicken, Rice & Broccoli
3
Freezer Meal
4
Corn & Potato Chowder
5
Eat out/ Pizza
6
Maple Glazed Turkey
7
Tacos


8
Lasagna
9
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
10
Freezer Meal
11
Bean & Cheese Quesadillas
12
Leftovers
13
Easy Chicken Chili  (thanks, Sharp Scissors Lady!)

14
Pot Roast, Carrots, Potatoes


15
Goulash
16
Chicken Divan
17
Freezer Meal
18
Lentils & Rice
19
French Dip Sandwiches
20
Hamburgers/Hot Dogs
21
Eat out/ Pizza


22
Cranberry Pork Roast
23
BBQ Chicken
24
Freezer Meal
25
Quiche
26
Leftovers
27
Mini Meatloaves
28
Chicken Fajitas

I just started sticking to this list over the past week and have already noticed how much less time I spend in the kitchen.  We had Chicken fajitas yesterday, but since I had already marinated the meat from the night before it was super easy just to throw it on the grill just minutes before it was time to eat.  I also now know which grocery items to work on obtaining each week with this list.  I can also work on stockpiling ingredients for these recipes, so I don't have to pay full-price anymore.

As you notice, many of these recipes are from my favorite recipe site:  www.allrecipes.com.  I love this site because people review the recipes and tell any changes they made to the recipe to make it better.  If you haven't been there, you should give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment