Thursday, November 19

Yummy Chili!

I made a freezer-friendly recipe lastnight that I wanted to share with you from the Freezer Friendz website.  It was super-easy to make and was really good!  I have NEVER made a chili that I like, but this one was great and my whole family gobbled it up.  I actually made a quadruple batch because I am in a Freezer Friends group myself (we each make multiples of one meal and then trade them once a month, so I get four different meals).  I just used the cheap ground beef (3-pound bag for $1.59/lb at Meijer) and then rinsed it in HOT water after draining the grease to get rid of most of the excess fat.  This is a great cheap recipe that I will be adding to my monthly rotation!

Debbie's Chili

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 30 ounce can of kidney beans
1 30 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tblsp chili powder
1 Tblsp sugar
2 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste


Ingredients I added:
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
* I also replaced some kidney beans with Great Northern beans to add some different color/taste

Assembly:
Brown the ground beef and onion until meat is cooked. Drain off the fat. Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about an hour.

To Freeze:
Let cool and then put in freezer bags. Store flat in freezer. To reheat, thaw completely and reheat on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment