In honor of Earth Day 2010, I wanted to make a list of all the things we can do everyday to make our earth a cleaner & happier place to live.
- Turn off appliances and lights when you leave the room.
- Don't let the water run while shaving or brushing teeth.
- Keep drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the faucet run until the water is cool.
- Buy permanent items instead of disposables.
- Clean out juice bottles and use them for water.
- Donate extras to people you know or to charity instead of throwing them away.
- Recycle paper (printer paper, newspapers, mail, etc.), plastic, glass bottles, cardboard, and aluminum cans.
- Use the microwave to cook small meals. (It uses less power than an oven.)
- Cut back on air conditioning and heating use if you can.
- Insulate your home, water heater and pipes.
- Buy products with less packaging.
- Reuse boxes.
- Buy and use only what you need.
- Water the lawn or garden during the coolest part of the day (early morning is best).
- Keep your yard healthy - dethatch, use mulch, etc.
- Compost food scraps, grass and other yard clippings, and dead plants.
Happy Earth Day!